5 Tips for Healthier, Happier Feet
Most people don’t understand how poor foot health can impact their overall health. There are a few simple steps you can take to keep your feet healthy and pain-free.
According to a study by the Institute of Preventative Health, 80 percent of people ages 21 and older have at least one problem with their feet. Often, foot issues are indicators of other problems. Back and leg pain, among many other ailments, can arise because of unhealthy feet.
Here are a few simple steps you can take to get on the path to healthier feet:
- Buy healthier shoes – Look for shoes with arch support and flexible soles with a minimal heel. Toes should have sufficient room without the sides of the shoes pressing against the toes.
- Avoid high heels – While many women subscribe to the theory “beauty is pain,” there is nothing beautiful about painful feet. When deciding what shoes to wear every day, make the healthier choice. By saving sky-high pumps for the occasional night on the town, women reduce their risk of developing lower extremity problems such as bunions, hammer toes, plantar fasciitis, interdigital neuromas and ingrown toenails.
- Stretch regularly – Stretches enhance overall foot health. Stretching can also alleviate pain and lengthen tight muscles and tendons. There are many good videos online demonstrating stretches.
- Maintain Foot Hygiene – Washing the feet daily with mild soap and warm water and drying between the toes can keep many foot infections and diseases away.
- Get Active – Physical activity is not only great for overall health, it provides a lot of benefits to feet. Walking, running, rollerblading, hiking and bicycling all get feet moving. This keeps feet flexible and improves muscle tone.
Finally, get help when you need it. Foot pain is something you don’t want to ignore. If you had an excruciating headache every day, you would most likely see a doctor. The same goes for your feet. Aches and pains aren’t something you should have to live with. Healthy feet allow you to have a healthy lifestyle and enjoy the things you love doing. If eyes are the windows to your soul, then feet are the doors to your health. Open them and enjoy.