Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry) specialists at Cone Health Medical Group treat patients with a wide variety of neurological and musculoskeletal conditions.
Our specialists use conservative, nonsurgical methods to help restore movement and function.
Will I Benefit From Rehabilitation?
Physical medicine and rehabilitation services may benefit conditions such as:
- Back or neck pain, including degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, spinal stenosis and sciatica
- Joint pain, including osteoarthritis and bursitis
- Neurological disorders and injuries, such as multiple sclerosis, stroke, post-concussion syndrome and neuropathy (nerve pain)
- Overuse injuries, like tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome
Diagnosing Your Condition
During your first visit with a CHMG physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist, your doctor will ask about your symptoms, review your medical history and physically examine you. The physician might assess the health of your joints, muscles or nerves with a diagnostic procedure such as:
- Electromyogram (EMG) and nerve conduction studies that measure your muscles’ electrical activity
- Imaging tests, including X-ray, CT scan, MRI or ultrasound
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Treatment
After you receive a diagnosis, your doctor will make personalized recommendations for treatment, which may include:
- Acupuncture, which places very thin needles into your skin to alleviate pain or treat a medical condition
- Botox injections for muscle spasticity (spasms or stiffness)
- Bracing or splints that keep injured areas still so they can heal
- Cold therapy to reduce swelling
- Gentle exercises tailored to your condition
- Heat therapy to relax muscles
- Manual therapy, which uses hands-on techniques to ease discomfort
- Pain-relieving injections
- Epidural injections
- Facet joint injections
- Medial branch blocks
- Sacroiliac (SI) joint injections
- Trigger point injections
- Radiofrequency ablation, which eliminates nerve tissue that carries pain signals
Inpatient Rehabilitation Care
If you experience a serious injury or illness that requires inpatient care, your CHMG physical medicine specialist will help you transition seamlessly to or from the accredited Cone Health Rehabilitation Center.