If you experience an infection that’s difficult to diagnose or requires specialty care, your primary care physician may refer you to an infectious disease specialist with Cone Health Medical Group. Our board-certified physicians are experts in identifying, treating and preventing all types of infections.
Conditions We Treat
Trust the specialists at CHMG to care for a wide range of infections including:
- C. difficile (C. diff) – Bacterial infection in the digestive tract
- Endocarditis – Inflammation of the heart’s lining
- Fever with an unknown cause
- Hepatitis C
- HIV – Virus that damages the body’s immune system cells
- Hospital-acquired infections (nosocomial infections)
- Meningitis – Inflammation of the tissue around the brain and spinal cord
- MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) – Bacterial infection resistant to several common antibiotics
- Pneumonia – Infection in one or both lungs
- Skin infections
- Tuberculosis – Bacterial disease that affects the lungs and other parts of the body
- Urinary tract infections (UTI)
Convenient, Coordinated Care
At the Regional Center for Infectious Disease, you’ll be able to concentrate on managing your health, not arranging your care, because we offer multiple services in a single location. Ask about:
- Medical care
- Medication management
- Behavioral health services, including substance abuse counseling
- Social work services
- Dental services
- Financial counseling
- Opportunities to participate in clinical research trials
Your First Visit
During your first visit, your doctor will review your medical history, ask about your symptoms and may physically examine you. Your doctor may ask for additional imaging or blood tests to gather more information about your health.
Cone HealthLink offers secure access to all your Cone Health medical records. You’ll need to bring any other medical records—including immunization information and test results—to your appointment.
After confirming or establishing your diagnosis, your CHMG infectious disease specialist will work with you and your primary care physician to create a customized care plan.
Effective Care for HIV/AIDS
Get some of the best care in North Carolina for an HIV infection at the Cone Health Regional Center for Infectious Disease. Thanks to our constant improvements in individual treatment plans, you may be one of our many patients who achieve a suppressed viral load—meaning a lower level of HIV in the blood—compared with the national average. That translates to better overall health and lower chances for transmitting the disease.
Clinical Research for HIV/AIDS
If you are eligible for a clinical trial, you may benefit from new HIV or AIDS medications that are not yet widely available. You’ll receive the medications at no cost and may be compensated for time you spend participating in the study. To learn more, talk with your doctor.
Travel Medicine Services & Consultations
As you plan a trip abroad, visit a CHMG infectious disease specialist for a personalized pre-travel health evaluation to:
- Determine health risks associated with your destinations
- Get required or recommended immunizations
- Learn tips to stay safe and healthy while visiting another country
- Learn more about travel medicine at Cone Health.