Heart Rhythm Services
Specialized cardiologists known as electrophysiologists diagnose and treat heart rhythm conditions—arrhythmias or abnormal heart rates—and related complications.
Get Your Heart Back on Track
At Cone Health Medical Group HeartCare, an electrophysiologist may use a variety of options to evaluate and treat your heart rhythm condition.
Monitoring & Testing
- Arrhythmia monitoring – Helps identify cause, location and treatment options for abnormal heart rhythm; uses Holter monitors, event monitors or implantable loop recorders to capture heart electrical activity over a period of time
- Electrophysiology (EP) testing – Diagnoses types of arrhythmia through a hospital-based procedure that places a catheter inside the heart to evaluate its electrical system
Cardiac Assist Devices
- Implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICDs) – Help protect against abnormal heart rhythms; devices may incorporate pacemaker capability; placed under the skin of the chest and connected to leads that reach the bottom and/or top chambers of the heart
- Pacemakers – Help keep heart rhythms from going too slowly; placed under the skin of the chest; use safe electrical pulses that prompt the heart to beat at a normal rate
Therapies & Treatments
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) – Places an extra lead for a pacemaker or ICD in the lower left chamber of the heart; removes the communication delay between the bottom two chambers and allows the heart to work more efficiently
- Radiofrequency catheter ablation (RFA) – Uses electrical energy to treat tissues in the heart that cause abnormal heart rhythms; hospital-based procedure that places small catheters inside the heart for treatment to prevent arrhythmias
What to Expect
Ask your doctor for the requirements of the electrophysiology tests or procedures you may need.